lördag 23 maj 2015

1/9 - Spring time at Capellagården

The first pair of mittens in my series of posts for the exhibition is the tulip mittens - Spring time at Capellagården.
 
Yarn: Tuna filtgarn from Borgs vävgarner, natural white, dyed with madder (red) and indigo (blue). Madder dyed at 70 degrees C with alum mordant. Needle size 3 mm. 

This pattern was created in spring 2014 and was for sale in the Capellagården summer shop 2014 (I am working on an english version..). The tulips growing abundantly in the school garden was my inspiration. It was a challenge making a pattern that continues unbroken on both sides of the mitten, and I'm not 100 % satisfied, but that's OK :).

Originally the cuff was green and the tulips in pink or orange, but I really wanted to knit a pair in yarn I dyed myself. I might look a tad unnatural, but I just love the indigo blue and madder red together!

The yarn I used (see link above) is sold as weaving yarn (vävgarn) but works fine for knitting. It is a classic Swedish wool two ply around 300 m/100g. It might not be the most luxurious and beautiful yarn, but it's reasonably soft and very durable, suitable for mittens. It also takes natural dyes in a nice way, and I use it as a staple yarn for dyeing and two colour knitting.
 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar